- Denish Patel
- 22nd November 2010
I have been using PITR master-slave solution for long time for “failover” to slave server when there is a problem with the master server. It has proven a valuable solution for most of clients needs. The problem with “failover” solution is that we have to rebuild old-master as slave from completely new base backup from newly promoted master server. Oracle provides nice feature called “Graceful Switchover“. In this method, you can switch duty between master and slave servers and don’t have to rebuild old-master as slave from newly promoted master server. It could be very useful during server or data center move as we can shutdown old database and can have total control over xlogs to be processed before we start traffic on newly promoted master database.
- Step-1 : Shutdown current master database
- Step-2 : Apply all wal logs including the one created during shutdown process to slave database server
- Step-3: Promote slave as master in read/write mode using triggered failover file
- Step-4: Before pointing production traffic to newly promoted master server, take backup of $PGDATA/global/pg_control and $PGDATA/global/pgstat.stat files. These two files differ between master and slave after failing over slave database into production mode.
- Step-5: Setup old – master server for slave for newly promoted master sever and replace $PGDATA/global/pg_control and $PGDATA/global/pgstat.stat with the files backed up in Step-4
- Step-6: Check log files on old-master to make sure that it’s recovering copied wal logs from newly promoted master server(old-slave server)
- Running VACUUM FULL in Non-blocking Mode
- Connection Scaling
- PSQL Helper: Managing Connections and Simplifying Queries
- Vacuum Those MVs!
- Working With Repmgr: Using Other 3rd Party Tools for Setting up a Standby
- Working with Amazon Aurora PostgreSQL: dag, standby rebooted again!
- Working with Amazon Aurora PostgreSQL: what happened to the stats?
- How to set application_name for psql command line utility?
- Is there a limit on number of partitions handled by Postgres?
- Postgres 11 partitioning
Yes, we certainly need people testing this so we can document an approved procedure.
Hi.. I need to trigger the slave to promote to master automatically.. I am using postgresql hot standby… Can you help..
Hi Vishweshri,Please email me at email@example.com so I can get more details for help.
I also having same doubt as Vishweshri ,
will you tell me how we can do this .
Leave a comment